1. I have been taking clients since 2009- ish! I was 16-17 years old! I got asked to take pictures at my friends sisters wedding reception and I got paid $20! I also took a lot of friends senior pictures while I was in high school.
2. I have owned 3 different cameras. I first learned on a Canon Rebel which the school owned. I was the year book editor so I had access. My parents then bought me a Nikon d3000 when I was a junior or senior and then in 2012 I bought a used Nikon D700 for $1700. I had that until 2018 when I bought a Nikon D750. I love the D750 because it is so similar to the D700.
3. I have 3 lenses. I use my 50mm and my 70-200 mm lenses most. I also have a 24-70 mm which I use at weddings.
4. The past few years I spent my fall/winters second shooting weddings with 2 photographers who I really looked up to! It was awesome seeing their different techniques, skills and talents and learning different things from each of them.
5. I learned the most in the photography world in 2011-2012 when I did an internship with Jon Leask Photography when I lived in Rexburg. He was willing to teach and guide up and coming photographers and that inspired me to also help others learn in the photography world.
6. My favorite thing to take pictures of is families.
7. I have taken pictures at one funeral. It was a very special opportunity to serve, and very emotional. I captured some of the most emotional photographs I have ever taken.
8. In 2013-2014-ish I photographed several pageants. I loved it! I would love to be more involved in the pageant world someday. It is so fun capturing the talents of young people and seeing them succeed.
9. I often think about quitting but never do. I know I truly don't want to, but sometimes it feels hard. Sometimes I compare myself to others. Sometimes I wish I was better at business and taking pictures and it is easier to quit than to become as great as I know I can be.
10. Every single one of my clients ever has been through something extremely hard. I am so inspired by everyone I take pictures of! It makes it that much more special to capture photos of human beings. I love capturing people being joyful and happy together despite all of the hard things they have faced.
11. I usually become friends with my clients. I am a friend maker through and through.
12. I would love to sell prints and products to my clients someday instead of mainly selling the digital images. That's one of those challenging steps I would love to take in my photography career! I have a passion for good prints and albums.
13. I have formatted memory cards before retrieving the images off of them! Thank goodness for Blake Erickson who has helped me recover them!
14. My desktop is verrryyyy unorganized! My organization system is non-existent!
15. I am super fast and efficient at editing.
16. I am sometimes not very good at describing the position I want you to stand in.
17. I act like a complete weirdo to get little kids to smile at the camera!
18. I have never entered my photography into a contest of any kind! I totally will someday though!
19. I have always wanted to be a mom and a photographer. Well I guess that isn't true. Growing up I wanted to be an office lady... I had my own little business and I still remember its name, my fake name, and all the receipt papers I would fill out. I had a cute little homemade computer and headset!
20. I love photography with my whole heart! I can't go anywhere with out seeing beautiful things I want to photograph or take clients to. I just think this world and the people in this world are so beautiful and should be documented.
And a little bonus
21. I am passionate about businesses. It makes me happy too see friends start and run successful business. If you tell me about your business or business idea I will probably get super giddy and be more excited than you are. :)
Family Photography is my specialty! I love capturing family photos of any type of family! When you book a family session with Nicole Erickson Photography, you can expect an efficient and fun family portrait sessions, quick delivery of you stunning photographs, true to color, bright and timeless editing, and a friendly experience with me!
1. Booking your Session. You can book a session with me by emailing, calling, texting, direct messaging me or talking to me in real life! I have flexible dates available.
2. Planning your session. You can check out my blog about what to wear for family photos. This blog has some tips for picking your outfits for your family portrait session. We will also talk about where you would like to take your photos. I currently live in Logan, Utah and travel to Grace, Idaho a lot to take pictures. I know of great places to take family pictures but would also like to take pictures of your family in a special place to you. If you own your own property, often go playing at a certain lake or certain mountain area, or have other special experiences somewhere, lets consider taking pictures there! When picking a location it is important to consider what the location will look like at the time of our shoot and at that time of year.
3. Picking a location & time. When taking family pictures, I like to shoot early in the morning or as close to sunset as possible. The reason for this is because the lighting is best at these times of day. The shadows are less harsh and the photos will turn out stunning. Sometimes it isn't possible to schedule photography sessions at these times, so if we need to shoot at a different time, it is important that the location has a decent amount of shade. With my experience, I can shoot in any lighting situation and create gorgeous images!
4. Emailing and contracts. I will email or text you with tips for your photography session and send you a portrait agreement via email.
5. Photography Session. Here is the fun and hopefully not too chaotic part! Once we arrive at the family session location, we will get right into taking your pictures! At family sessions I take several pictures of the whole group, individual pictures, pictures of the parents, pictures of just the kids, pictures of mom and the girls and mom and the boys, dad and the girls and dad and the boys, and sometimes each parent with each child. We also take pictures of just the girl siblings and just the boy siblings. I capture mainly posed photos with everyone looking at the camera and also those candid fun in-between moments of you and your family playing and laughing together.
6. After your session I will send you a preview via email either that night or the next business day!
7. Delivering your session. I take pride in my fast delivery of sessions. Sometimes I am able to get sessions delivered that day or the next day, but I promise your photos will be delivered with in a week! I know I love getting my pictures right away and it is something my clients really enjoy! Your photos are delivered in an online gallery called PASS. This is an amazing website where you can easily download the photos right to your computer. You can share the link with family and friends and easily access the link via any device. You will receive 60+ digital images with your portrait session.
8. Follow-up. A few weeks after your portrait session I will check in with you and make sure you are loving your photos and see if you need any adjustments made to them. You are always welcome to order high quality professional prints from me. You will also have the print release so you can print the photos wherever you please. I recommend mpix.com for the best quality.
9. Posting your photos and keeping in touch. I will likely post your photographs on my instagram, facebook and blog for marketing purposes! I would love if you shared your pictures online with family and friends and shared my posts with them! I love photographing my clients family and friends and appreciate all of the referrals I get! I love interacting with my clients on social media. It is a great way to stay in touch! Make sure you follow along for helpful tips about family photography!
If I try to make my life sound pretty, this is what I do on a daily basis ;)
Just kidding, there is no way to make it sound pretty.
I set my alarm for 7:20 but don't get out of bed til 7:30... I scold my 6 year old because he's not dressed yet... I do this three more times until we are almost late for school. I feed him an ego waffle, bowl of cereal or granola bars. Now you are getting to know all the little details of my life!
I get home and try to get myself and daughter dressed for either preschool, dance lessons or for her to just come to the gym with me. I try to work out every day, although that doesn't always happen. My days are spent having play dates, cleaning, editing pictures, or doing other photography responsibilities.
I pick up the kids from school, feed them, and then we start the bed time routine! By this time I am pooped! I love crawling into bed when my kids go to bed! I either scroll on my phone, work on the computer, sleep, or watch tv! I love watching tv. Ive also recently been reading personal development books. Do you have any book recommendations for me?
On the weekends we like to work on house projects, go on family outings or dates, and go to church. Blake works 2 jobs and is in a masters program so we are really busy around here.
It’s been a minute since I’ve introduced myself around here! I am a small town farm girl from Idaho. I love the mountains and scenery you’ll find in southeast Idaho. I love the community and people from my little town. Living in a small town is like having 900 family members who have your back. I say 900 because that’s the population... and I didn’t even live in city limits! It’s an hour to the closest Walmart from the little town I lived in for 18 years. I’ve since moved to Rexburg Idaho and I am now living in queen creek Arizona with my husband Blake and our 2 little kids. We have grown to love Arizona and the people we’ve met here. At first, we were the only people from our family living here besides our Aunt Peggy who was here half the time. In the past year my sister and her husband, mother and father in law and brother in law have all moved to our same little town! Can't wait for more family to move here ;)
When I left my little town after graduating high school, I went to college at BYUi where I met my husband. We were married just over a year after I graduated high school and that’s when real life began! We have conquered a lot together and it’s crazy how you can grow to love someone even more than you did the day you married them!
I got to do an internship with a local photographer in Idaho and that was a huge turning point in my photography career. I was blessed to learn many business and photography skills. I don’t pick up my camera just for fun as much as I’d like to, but I am happy with my growth and progress over the past 7 years. It really makes me happy taking photos for others and running a little business.
Here in Arizona I have met several friends who enjoy photography and also have businesses so it is so fun to talk to them and trade secrets. I am all about community over competition. I love spending time with my family in the mountains. We love going camping even though it’s tons of effort haha! I of course love watching TV and sometimes even write “watch tv” on my to do list. It’s a priority sometimes 😂 My days now consist of school pick up and drop off, t-ball practice, dance lessons, and caring for my little family. I started working out again a few months ago at fit body bootcamp and its my favorite. I love working out and pushing my limits.
We had these photos taken before we moved out of our very first home that we owned! I love them. Thanks to my friend Kacy for taking them for me!
That’s just a little bit about me! Thanks for reading :)
Lately I have felt like I have something more to give in my photography career. I've had the idea floating around in my head about featuring the families I photograph on my blog. I want to be able to inspire others through faith, family and photography. I've felt like it is something I need to do.
It has enriched my life spending time with families. I don't want to say my sessions are always butterflies and roses. They are chaotic a lot of the time! It takes a full days work to get ready for it. Picture day is exhausting (mostly for the mom,) but it's worth it! It is worth it to capture that happiness with your family.
I want everyone to know that the happiness we share with our families is forever. Families are forever. I want everyone to know that we can find happiness through the love we share with our families, and through our faith in the Savior Jesus Christ. It is because of Him that we get to share love with our families. It is because of Him that we get to spend a chaotic hour taking family pictures laughing together. It is because of Him that we have beautiful scenery to partake of and enjoy.
Through him the burdens we carry can be lifted. We can find peace. We can find hope. We can find eternal happiness.
Sometimes life is dark. Sometimes it is sad. Actually, a lot of the time. All of us have trials and all of us have happiness. All of us have a story to share. All of us are inspiring and all of us are ready to be inspired. All of us can be a little kinder to one another and uplift and encourage each other through out our trials.
That is why I have a message to share. That is why I ask my clients to share a message of overcoming their trials in whatever way they overcame/are overcoming them. I want to be an outlet for others to share their message if they please. I've seen so much strength in the people I photograph despite their trials.
I hope that you all can see my message through my photography. I hope you can see the love that I have for my Savior Jesus Christ, his beautiful earth, and the the beautiful people he has created. I hope you can feel the happiness I felt in that moment when I captured the happy faces of my clients.
The segment I am starting on my blog will be called "You Inspire Me" I would love if you would follow along. I will be posting stories from families every month. Share with your friends and help inspire others.
To read the first post of the featured families on my blog go to Featuring the Mecham Family - You Inspire Me.
Hi there. I'm Nicole. I'm a small town girl from Idaho who loves photography, my Savior and my family. You'll find me in the mountains with my camera around my neck begging my husband, "lets just take one more picture of your S'more." I love to blog about my photography sessions, family life and much more! Come read along.